Why Take A Glycine Powder Supplement?
If your skin doesn’t look as fresh as you like, or you’re not getting quality sleep or maybe suffering from cognitive issues then Glycine Supplementation may be for you. Scientific research has shown that Glycine powder, sometimes called L Glycine, may help people with certain conditions such as:
- Sleep Disorders
- Skin Conditions
- Metabolism Problems
- Detox Needs
For Body Builders Glycine powder supplementation helps to
- increase protein synthesis by as much as 80%
- reduce protein degradation by up to 30%.
What Is The Correct Glycine Supplement Dosage?
The correct glycine dosage depends on your body size. You should also consider the timing of your L glycine supplementation.
- For body builders the recommended glycine dose is 0.03g/kg/day – so if your a 100kg guy that would be 3g per day taken with your protein shot with 30 minutes of finishing a workout.
- The general guideline for glycine dosage for sleep and all other health conditions excluding schizophrenia is 3g taken 60-30 minutes before bed.
- The dosage for schizophrenia are very high and generally impractical being 800mg/kg bodyweight. For example a 100kg guy would then be taking 80g per day. If that were 6 equal doses every 2 hours that dosage would be 13g of Glycine every couple of hours.
How to Get More Glycine In Your Diet?
Glycine can be found naturally in:
- Meat, Dairy, Chicken and Fish
- Legumes such as Tofu and Soy protein.
- Nuts such as Sesame Seeds and Sunflower Seeds
- Vegetables such as Spirulina, Watercress, Spinach, Cauliflower, Cabbage
If you don’t have ready access to these or perhaps you have allergies that preclude eating these foods then a Glycine Supplement Powder is very convenient and low cost way to get the recommended dose.
Typical costs are under Australian 20 cents per serve.
As always please consult your GP or Strength & Conditioning coach for advice specific to your personal circumstances before taking Glycine supplements.
- Glycine for Your Gains? Glycine Boosts Protein Synthesis (80%), Reduces Protein Degradation (-30%) in Muscle Cells http://suppversity.blogspot.com.au/2016/11/glycine-for-your-gains-glycine-boosts.html 12-Apr -2017
- Glycine, https://examine.com/supplements/glycine/ 12-Apr-2017
- Foods highest in Glycine, Self Nutrition Data, http://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-016094000000000000000.html?maxCount=11,12-Apr -2017
- Glycine, Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycine 12-Apr-2017
- Glycine : The amino acid that is necessary for central nervous system function and a healthy prostate. https://blissreturned.wordpress.com/2012/04/09/glycine-the-amino-acid-that-is-necessary-for-central-nervous-system-function-and-a-healthy-prostate/
- Glycine: The Muscle-Building, Brain-Boosting Amino Acid that Benefits the Entire Body https://draxe.com/glycine/ 1